Whoever watched “The Wolf of Wall Street” has struggled to understand the jobs, products, jargon that surround the financial markets. Some of us are still trying to get their way out of this financial jungle and clarify the associated strategies. Demystifying financial instruments is the key objective of the step by step programme we propose below. Our modular approach allows each participant to select his/her entry point in the programme to best fit cumulated knowledge and experience on this wide topic.
At the end of this training, participants will be able to:
- Define the general characteristics of each instrument
- Gain in-depth understanding of how the instrument operates
- List how it can best be used on the market – be it in single or in combination with other instruments
- Understand the valuation method and what can impact the value of it
- Identify major risks associated and determine controls that may mitigate them
- The fundamentals of an IRS swap contract: asset or liability swap, main contract features
- Main swap uses; unwinding of a swap; swap risks
- The swap market and yield curve
- The case of a CRS
- Swaps variants: CMS swaps, 0-coupon swap
- Other types of swaps: volatility or variance swaps, inflation swaps, commodity swaps, performance swaps, dividend swaps
Program of all modules
Module 1 – The essentials: forward, future, swap, option, credit derivatives in a nutshell
Module 2 – Forward, Future in details
Module 3 – the world of swaps: IRS, CRS, CCIRS, performance swaps, inflation swaps, volatility swaps…
Module 4 – Options – 1st and 2nd generation
Module 5 – Credit derivatives (credit default swap, total return swap, credit linked notes,
equity default swap)
Module 6 – Securitization vehicles – traditional & synthetic
Module 7 – Structured Products – credit linked notes, reverse convertible bonds, auto-call, inflation linked, volatility linked, shariah compliant, embedded derivatives
Module 8 – Valuation of Derivatives – the Principles
Anyone who wants to reach a sound understanding of the financial instruments (including derivatives) used by investment managers.
Our Lead Experts
This training will be coordinated by Frédéric Botteman, Partner, PwC Luxembourg. The different modules will be animated by experts in derivatives.
Frédéric, Audit Partner, is specialized in the valuation of derivatives and illiquid securities. Thanks to this, he has gained a high expertise in the audit of guaranteed funds.
Frédéric has developed a strong fund audit experience and is also involved in the expert team in the area of circular CSSF 2002/77 requirements and is instructor in several courses linked to this topic and to derivatives.
Frédéric is also leading several SRI reporting for major IM players.
This training is also available in French.
Number of participants: Limited to 20 participants to ensure optimal interactivity.
Duration: 4 hours